Indeed, birthdays can be made special without spending too much. In our case, here's how we've basically done it and I am sharing this to my blog as fun tips to help enjoy birthdays without splurging way too much.:-)
5 Tips to Make Birthdays Special Without Spending Hugely
1. Keep a low profile so that only the very few significant people will know that your birthday is coming. Only when your birthday is over that people will realize that you just had a happy one. :-)
2. Don't feel pressured about having to hold a birthday spree. Some friends or workmates are likely to send you a hint or two that they're expecting a birthday blowout but if it is not within your budget, you can just politely smile or beg off. For friends who send their birthday wishes on your Facebook's timeline (which you forgot to turn off), you can also jokingly say to your well-wishers "Your greetings are good but I need cash!" or "Can I convert all your birthday greetings to cash so I would end up a millionnaire?" So now, they will get the point. Some of them might even cook up a birthday bash for you (You wish!).
3. Go to church and give thanks to God for another great year for you. You don't want God to get disappointed about not inviting Him to your birthday, do you? He should be your most important Guest especially on your birthday.
4. Merge your birthday with other celebrants in the house. Here's the cake to prove my point. :-)
If your husband's birthday is anywhere near your birthday, for example, you might as well spend it together. My birthday falls on the same day as his Aunt V, so it's quite practical to spend birthday with her since she's holding a party! :-) The only down side to this clever and crazy tip, though, is that we don't get to have our own guests. LOL!
In our case, we only had to order the cake and the rest of the food and drinks are on her. Haha! Isn't this a great money-saving tip? :-) Next time, though, I will have to remember not to bring husband and daughter along when I buy the cake so that we won't end up taking our birthday lunch together. :-)
5. Birthdays are also fun with a microphone and karaoke system at home. It should be fun singing a few high-pitched songs with just a couple of beers for the gentlemen and soda for the ladies. You also don't want kids to miss out on the celebration, so you can have fruit juice for them as well. Of course, you need to pass on the microphone to your kid so she can sing her favorite happy birthday song which will surely make your day even more special.
And we sure made our birthdays special without spending hugely! You can come back here on my next birthday (which happens to be the Veterans' Day, by the way) if you want to learn more frugal ways of celebrating birthdays with loved ones. :-)